Pets provide many emotional dividends to a home and a family, but their presence also increases housekeeping burdens. The burden is increased if a family member has allergies, which is why it’s important to learn how to clean against pet allergies.
What is pet dander?
Like all mammals, cats and dogs constantly shed dander, tiny flakes of skin to which some people are allergic. Dander floats on drafts of air and sooner or later settles on surfaces throughout the house.
Is dog saliva an allergen?
Besides dander, pet saliva also contains allergens. Pets deposit allergens from their saliva on their fur when they lick themselves, and when the fur sheds, the saliva allergens and dander go with it. When pets lounge on our carpets and furniture, they leave allergens wherever their bodies touch. Pet urine also contains allergens, and when urine dries and becomes airborne, it can be inhaled.
How do I get rid of allergens in my bedroom?
If you have an allergic family member and a pet you don’t want to give up, here are some tips to reduce allergens in the bedroom:
- Always keep the pet out of the bedroom, and especially keep pets off the bed.
- Minimize furniture in the bedroom and get rid of upholstered furniture.
- Bare floors are best in the bedroom, with perhaps a small bedside rug.
- Keep the bedroom door closed so pet allergens cannot waft in, and pets cannot stroll in.
How often should I vacuum if I have pets?
People often ask how often they need to vacuum if they have a cat or a dog. To control allergens, people with pets need to vacuum and dust more often than other people to keep hair, dander, and airborne allergens concentrations to a minimum. Cleaning with a vacuum made especially for pets (low emissions and HEPA filtered) and dusting with a damp cloth are extremely important. Concentrate vacuuming in areas where the allergic person and the pet spend a lot of time.
Regular, detailed cleaning is the best medicine for pet allergies. Allergists recommend daily dusting and vacuuming, but since this is not often possible, dust and vacuum as frequently as you can and put the allergic person’s bedroom at the top of the priority list. Thorough vacuuming includes vacuuming carpets, upholstery, and draperies. Vacuum under furniture and in any place in which you or the pet tends to spend a lot of time – your bedroom, your favorite reading chair, the cat’s favorite cushion.
What vacuum attachment is best for dog hair?
The best pet hair vacuum attachments are the proper ones for the surface you want to clean – use the upholstery attachment for the furniture and the powerhead for rugs, etc. Some widgets can help remove pet hair, especially in awkward places or small areas it isn’t worth pulling out the vacuum for. These include special pet hair squeegees, tape rollers, and dry sponges. In addition, keep the pet’s bed clean. Launder blankets and any covers with hot, sudsy water and rinse well.
What are some good tips for pet owners?
- Always wash your hands after petting, handling, and grooming your pet and before eating.
- Keep cats and other pets off counters and tables.
- Do not let pets eat off the same plates as the family, and wash pet dishes separately from the family’s. Keep special water and food bowls specifically for the pet and keep them clean by washing them daily.
- Do not permit pets to beg from the table or take food from anyone’s hand during a meal.
- Do not feed pets raw or undercooked food as you can give them, and subsequently a family member, a foodborne illness.
Can a cleaning service take care of pet dander?
Pet allergies call for regular house cleaning, but this is often difficult to handle, especially when you’re trying to also juggle other responsibilities. Save time and energy for other activities and leave the cleaning to Castle Keepers, a leading maid service you can trust. Our methods are based on years of hands-on experience, so rest assured that we’ll get you rid of pet hair for good.
LET US DO THE CLEANING. YOU DO THE RELAXING.