In today’s busy world, cleaning windows is often an afterthought. However, this is an important part of home maintenance, which contributes to the functionality and aesthetic appeal of your home. Luckily, with some expert tips, your windows can shine again.
When should I clean my windows?
Pick a cloudy day to wash your windows – sunlight will dry them too quickly and cause streaking. Window glass will stay cleaner if you wash the window screens and frames before you wash the windows.
What do professionals use to clean windows?
Use a commercial window cleaner such as Windex or use a recipe for an effective homemade window cleaner with ammonia and rubbing alcohol. The ammonia cuts dirt and oil, and the alcohol cleans polar soils and helps the water evaporate quickly, so the windows do not streak.
How to clean windows like a pro
- Mix ½ cup sudsy ammonia, 1 pint rubbing alcohol, and 1 Tablespoon hand dishwashing liquid (do not use more than 1 T or streaking may result). Add enough water to make one gallon.
- Plain household ammonia in water (1/2 cup per gallon of warm water) also works well for less dirty windows.
- Wash windows with a non-linting cloth or a sponge dipped in the cleaning solution. If you are using a commercial cleaner, follow the product instructions. After washing, either squeegee the window, as professionals maid services do, or dry it with another clean, dry, absorbent, lint-free cloth or paper towel.
- Some people swear by newspapers but a newspaper isn’t very absorbent, and it takes a fair amount of wiping and rubbing to clean and polish a window with it. The newspaper also blackens your hands and leaves ink smudges around window muntins (vertical or horizontal bars between the panes of glass in a window, also known as mullions). Natural sponge applicators and rubber squeegees are the best alternative to newspaper for cleaning windows.
- Any glass cleaner, even plain water, can soften latex paint on muntins and sills around a window. Therefore, blot spilled window cleaner off painted surfaces without hard rubbing. The paint should harden once it has dried.
Who can I hire to clean my windows professionally?
Castle Keepers render a wide variety of practical services, which can include window cleaning as well as proper flat-screen TV maintenance, efficient solutions to the problem of pet dander, expert removal of dust bunnies and cobwebs, and meticulous carpet and rug cleaning.
We’re your go-to providers of top-of-the-line house cleaning. Our teams are fully equipped with reliable tools and trained to perform their tasks diligently. If you have special requests, we’ll be happy to hear you out and customize our plan to suit your needs. Schedule your appointment today!
To schedule your cleaning service, contact us today at 888-302-5582 or Request a FREE Estimate online!
LET US DO THE CLEANING. YOU DO THE RELAXING.