Cleaning Small Appliances
Advice from Tom McNulty in Clean Like a Man: Housekeeping for Men and the Women Who Love Them.
- Wipe down the interior with a damp sponge or cotton cloth as soon as you see something has spilled, splattered or bubbled over.
- Make the microwave work for you when dealing with dried on foods – boil a small bowl of water in the microwave, wait a few minutes while the steam softens the hardened food, then wipe with a damp cloth or sponge.
- Avoid abrasive cleaners or pads on microwave surfaces.
- The easiest way to clean a blender container is to run it through the dishwasher. Wipe down the base with a soft cloth or sponge and degreaser.
- If you need it cleaned right away, fill blender halfway with warm water, put in a drop or two of liquid dishwashing soap and run on high for ten seconds. Rinse.
- Because coffee beans contain oils that can become rancid and cause coffee to taste bitter, it’s important to keep your coffee grinder clean. Wipe out the grinder with a damp paper towel or sponge after each use.
- Clean lid with water and dishwashing liquid, rinse and dry.
- Clean all washable parts by running them through the dishwasher, or hand wash with liquid detergent and warm water to remove coffee residue.
- Run white vinegar through the system monthly to keep the coffeemaker free of mineral deposits. Fill the carafe with about three-quarters full of white vinegar and pour into the reservoir and start the unit. Then pour a full carafe of fresh water through the coffeemaker to flush out the vinegar residue.
- As with most things, the easiest way to clean the toaster oven is when the splatters and boil-overs are fresh – before they become baked on and difficult to remove.
- Make it a habit to wash the rack, crumb tray, broiler pan and even the glass door (if possible) in the dishwasher as often as possible.
- Otherwise, clean the rack, oven tray, and inside the glass door with a lite scrub pad and soapy water, then rinse with clear water.
- Wipe exterior with a damp cloth or sponge.
- Empty the crumb tray after each use over the sink or in the wastebasket.
- Sponge off plastic toaster with soapy water and spray a little window cleaner on a cloth and wipe chrome toasters clean.