Cleaning and Pet Allergies
Pets provide many emotional dividends to a house and a family, but their presence also increases housekeeping burdens. The burden is increased if a family member has allergies.
Like all mammals, cats and dogs constantly shed dander, which are tiny flakes of skin to which some people are allergic. Dander floats on drafts of air and sooner or later settles on surfaces throughout the house. Besides dander, pet saliva also contains allergens. When pets lick their fur, the allergens on their saliva are deposited on it and when the fur sheds, the saliva allergens, and dander go with it. When pets lounge on our carpets and furniture, they leave allergens wherever their bodies touch. Pet urine also contains allergens, and when urine dries and becomes airborne it can be inhaled.
Tips to Reduce Allergens in the Bedroom
If you have an allergic family member and a pet you don’t want to give up, here are some tips to reduce allergens in the bedroom:
- Always keep the pet out of the bedroom, and especially keep pets off the bed.
- Minimize furniture in the bedroom and get rid of upholstered furniture.
- Bare floors are best in the bedroom, with perhaps a small bedside rug.
- Keep the bedroom door closed so pet allergens cannot waft in and pets cannot stroll in.
To control allergens, people with pets need to vacuum and dust more often than other people to keep hair, dander and airborne allergens concentrations to a minimum. Vacuuming with a vacuum made especially for pets (low emissions and HEPA filtered) and dusting with a damp cloth are extremely important. Concentrate vacuuming in areas where the allergic person and the pet spend a lot of time.
To control allergens, people with pets need to vacuum and dust more often than other people.
For people with allergies and a pet, allergists recommend daily dusting and vacuuming, but since this is not often possible, dust and vacuum as frequently as you can, and put the bedroom of the allergic person at the top of the priority list. Thorough vacuuming includes vacuuming carpets, upholstery, and draperies. Vacuum under furniture and in any place in which you or the pet tends to spend a lot of time – your bedroom, your favorite reading chair, the cat’s favorite cushion.
The best vacuum attachments for removing pet hair are the proper ones for the surface – use the upholstery attachment for the furniture and the power head for rugs, etc. There are also widgets that can be useful in removing pet hair, especially in awkward places or for small areas it isn’t worth pulling out the vacuum for. These include special pet hair squeegees, tape rollers, and dry sponges. In addition, keep the pet’s bed clean. Launder blankets and any covers with very hot, sudsy water and rinse well.
Advice for Pet Owners
- Always wash your hands after petting, handling, and grooming your pet, and before eating.
- Keep cats and other pets off counters and tables.
- Do not let pets eat off the same plates as the family, and wash pet dishes separately from the family’s. Keep special water and food bowls specifically for the pet and keep them clean by washing them daily.
- Do not permit pets to beg from the table or take food from anyone’s hand during a meal.
- Do not feed pets raw or undercooked food as you can give them or a family member a foodborne illness.
- How to Vacuum
- How to Dust
- How to Fold a Fitted Sheet
- How Often Should I Clean That?
- Do Your Maids Clean on Their Hands and Knees?
Your Family’s Health Matters to Us
At Castle Keepers House Cleaning, the #1 way we prevent the spread of infection in your home is by using PerfectCLEAN® microfiber cloths. These cloths remove 99% of organic matter from surfaces. They also contain anti-microbial threads, which kill any germs caught in the fibers.
As an extra precaution, we color code our clothes to prevent cross-contamination between rooms.
Get an Instant Price in a Minute!
Get a quick online quote and schedule an appointment now. Our online booking is easy and convenient.
About Castle Keepers House Cleaning
Castle Keepers House Cleaning has been at the forefront of innovation and leadership among house cleaning professionals for years. Our company pioneered environmentally friendly and sustainable cleaning methods in residential cleaning. Castle Keepers House Cleaning is independently owned, not a franchise, offering our cleaning services in Charleston, SC, Atlanta, GA, Greenville, SC, Portland, OR, and Dayton, OH.
Get Your Life Back!
Book expert home cleaners. Schedule your appointment and we’ll do the rest.